Saturday 20 June 2015

NEW YORK: HOTEL METRO- HOTEL REVIEW

I'll be honest, New York City is my number one town. 3 trips in 16 months, 6 trips in total and counting. It's an addictive city. There is something about it that I can't put my finger on, but every time I arrive and make my way in to Manhattan, it is like I am somewhat coming to my home.
My most recent trip, in March this year for the New York Half Marathon, I stayed in 2 hotels and also I used an Air BNB apartment for the first time.

One of my favourite areas is around 34th St. It has an amazing array of shops, catering to all budgets and requirements. Hotel Metro, was a gem of a find in this area for me.
I stayed in this hotel as I was looking for a cheaper option than what I had originally booked due to the sliding value of the Australian $ against the USD. My main criteria are location and free wifi. I got a fantastic deal on this hotel from 12-14 March 2015 (Thurs-Sat) for $382 AUD including breakfast and free wifi. It fit the bill perfectly. I am a solo traveller most times so I don't need a massive room but I do like a NICE room to come back to. What is the point of spending the day out, only to have to return to somewhere unpleasant? Yes, I use my room "just to sleep" but I do like to enjoy where I sleep.

The reviews on this hotel are spot on. This hotel is one of my favourite finds in NYC and I will definitely return and recommend this hotel to clients. Upon arrival I did have to come in and get the bell hop, but he was friendly and efficient. The check in staff were so friendly and I also got an upgrade to a PREMIER room. I was in room 1217 which does not have Empire View ( the building is on the other side) but it is one flight up to the roof garden where you can get fabulous photos of the Empire State. In the summer this roof garden would be wonderful to enjoy a drink on. I had a Queen sized bed and also got complimentary bottled water and soda in my upgraded room. Thank you again for the upgrade. The bathroom is very small, BUT the shower is MAGNIFICENT with THREE water outlets including a rain shower. I think a sliding door would be better on the entrance to the bathroom here are you push the door in (rather than pull out) and this takes up most of the space in the bathroom unless you close it again. Even then sitting on the loo got a bit cramped, so I left the door open (it was only me in the room). Small thing, and didn't detract from my love of this hotel and I still give the hotel full marks. Wifi was free and fast and I had all my devices on it no issue. Breakfast that was included in my rate was continental. So it's juice, cereal, bagels, toast, pastries and tea and coffee. Simple but effective in filling a hole. You can pay to get a hot breakfast upgrade but I didn't need that. Breakfast was open from 6:30 until 10:30 and  on weekends they extend that until 11am. The location of this hotel cannot be beaten. It is on 35th and within about 30 yards of the N,Q and R subway with direct access to 42nd street, Columbus Circle and other connections. It's in the heart of my favourite shopping area of Manhattan and also with plenty of great restaurants nearby. You can go to O'Briens across the road for drinks and they also do dinner which I have heard is good. This hotel was a last minute find in a quest to save some $$. Not only did I do that but I found a fabulous new place to stay.

There will be more posts to follow on this great city, including some of my favourite eateries and things so see.

No comments:

Post a Comment