Monday 6 July 2015

NEW YORK: GARDENS NYC: AN AFFINIA HOTEL - HOTEL REVIEW

I travel to NYC often as some of you will know. My love affair with this city is well known.
For my trip to the NYC marathon in Oct/Nov 14, it was a hunt to get decent priced accommodation for my 10 nights.
This is a hideously expensive time to travel to New York and when you are paying the whole room cost yourself, getting a good deal is a must.
I had all but given up getting end thing under $350AUD a night and was about to can the trip. A Canadian friend gave me a code for an agent rate for which I managed to snag a Junior Suite for well under this. Great deal. Now always keep your eye out for good discounted rates and sign up for their deals email so you can be notified of good rates. There are a number of properties in this group which are all excellent.
I had never stayed on the East Side before and being up at 63rd was also new.
Subway is about 6 minutes walk away depending on the line. But it is a nice walk all the same.
Location is great. The hotel is right next to Sloan Kettering cancer hospital so my understanding is this hotel is also used for recouperating patients.
There are ample ammenities in the area including a Food Emporium, chemist and restaurants and cafes. I actually really liked the area. It was different for me considering I normally stay south of the park. I found the area safe and felt comfortable walking around at night.
Prior to arrival, I had had email communication with Nino, who was prompt with his replies.

The staff at the hotel upon arrival- magic, Marla and Caprice get special mention.
The doorman, especially Kris so attentive.
Check in was easy. Check out was also easy.
The room, absolutely massive. I had chosen not to upgrade to a patio suite due to it coming in to winter. Quite glad I did as some days it rained, thus making the area almost unusable. This however would be great for summer stays. I think from memory it was about an extra $15USD a day for that time of year. I am not sure if this rate is seasonal, but worth looking at all the same if the weather is good.
The Junior Suite I was in had a King Bed and a King Sofa Bed. There is so much space I could have opened a night club in here and still had room.
Small kitchen with fridge, sink, cooking area which is great. I didn't cook but I did use the fridge a lot for storing drinks, snacks.

My room was on the street side, but you would never have known, it was so quiet. 
There was a small closet (with only one luggage rack- my pet hate seeing there is often two of you travelling). The safe is in the closet. I'm short, the safe was up high, so I had to really stretch to make sure I got everything out. 
Bathroom was also well designed and functional. It also had a bath (shower of bath combo). I love baths in hotels.
Just before the bathroom as a small dressing area with mirror that enables you to do your makeup etc while someone else is in the bathroom. 

I had trouble with the Internet to start but that was soon fixed by the front desk. The wifi was free as I had booked direct. You may want to check your inclusions. There is free wifi in the lobby.
What I really liked is as you came and went from the hotel, the staff made the effort to greet you. 

I really loved this hotel. I would recommend it especially if you are looking to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the Times Sq area. 
The staff here are just exceptional and are a credit to this property.


Huge bed, you can see the large sofa. TV is to the left of the sofa as is the bathroom area.




 Unfortunately not amazing lighting but smaller area before bathroom is the dressing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment